Your Hygen Hound may start drooling. It’s a common thing among the Hygen Hound. However, he may drool and drool too much for several other reasons and perhaps because he is sick… If you don’t know what to do about your Hygen Hound drooling, if you don’t know if it’s normal or not, read this article that will help you understand when to be alarmed.
Your Hygen Hound Drools – Normal situations
The saliva of your Hygen Hound is a mucus produced by an oral secretion system that works with its digestive system and stomach. This is a completely normal and necessary phenomenon for your pet’s good health. This mechanism facilitates swallowing and therefore anticipates and prepares for digestion.
Here is a list of the most frequent cases in which an Hygen Hound can drool in a natural and/or normal way:
- When your Hygen Hound knows that he is going to or could eat. In this case, a simple smell of food, the time of his meal, taking out his bag of kibbles or simply watching you eat will cause drooling. This is called the “Pavlov reflex”.
- When your Hygen Hound is excited. In this case, a walk, a game session, a sexual desire at the sight of a female or simple smells can also make him drool.
- When your Hygen Hound is stressed. If he is in an unusual situation that can stress him (in the face of aggressive other dog, in a very, very noisy environment, if you yell at him, if you tie him up when he is not used to it…) then he can secrete more drool than in normal times.
- When puppies have a teeth growth.
- When a female has her first heat, when she is excited, when she smells dogs.
Your Hygen Hound drools – Abnormal situations
If your Hygen Hound starts drooling continuously or suddenly when it was not drooling before and is not in one of the situations listed above, it is best to be worried.
Indeed, the causes of excessive drooling can be serious.
Drool may be the sign:
- that your Hygen Hound has difficulty swallowing (irritation, presence of a foreign thing, obstruction, esophageal disease…);
- that your Hygen Hound has stomach problems (nausea, stomach upset…);
- that your Hygen Hound has been poisoned;
- that your Hygen Hound has oral or dental problems (infection, irritations, lesions, gingivitis, tumours…);
- that your Hygen Hound has a fever or has symptoms of rabies (but normally he must be vaccinated…).
Your Hygen Hound drools abnormally – What to do?
- Try to understand in which situation your Hygen Hound drools and if it is abnormal: when did he start drooling, what situation causes his hyper-salivation, how is his mouth, what could he eat…
- Take the temperature of your Hygen Hound. From 39°C, it is necessary to take his temperature every hour to ensure that it does not rise any higher.
- Above 39.5°C, it will be necessary to take him to his veterinarian.
- Check his heart rhythm because if he is very high it is not normal at all.
Then, make an appointment with your veterinarian quickly and remember to explain the symptoms you may have noticed.