You love your Artois Hound and of course want him to be clean at all times. To do in this case, you will need to wash him regularly. But now you are wondering: when, where and how to wash my Artois Hound properly, where to wash my Artois Hound: In a bathtub, in a shower, how to wash it without getting it wet?
Look at methods and tips to wash your Artois Hound properly and to make sure it is not a task for you or your dog.
- 1 When should you wash your Artois Hound?
- 2 Where to wash your Artois Hound?
- 3 Tips for washing your Artois Hound
- 4 How to wash your Artois Hound properly?
- 5 How to wash your Artois Hound without getting it wet?
When should you wash your Artois Hound?
For some Artois Hound who will not go too often to the countryside, swim in the lakes or walk in the mud, it will be enough to wait until they are dirty to wash them. There is no need to wash your Artois Hound if it does not smell bad and its coat is clean.
On the other hand, for the Artois Hound who will get dirty often, it is recommended to limit yourself to washing your Artois Hound every 4 to 6 weeks. Avoid washing it more often than once a month to avoid damaging its skin. A puppy can be washed from 3 months of age.
Where to wash your Artois Hound?
It will depend on the size of your Artois Hound, its behaviour (docile or crazy), your home (house, apartment, garden…) and the season.
It is up to you to see what will be the most practical according to your possibilities or constraints: in your garden in summer, in your bathtub, in your shower or in a special Artois Hound wash (available in some cities only).
But, whether outdoors or indoors, it will be better if your Artois Hound is immobilized, that it cannot move so that you can wash it properly.
- If you are outside, I advise you to attach it to a tree, a pylon or a fence.
- If you are in your bathroom and your bathtub is large enough, I advise you to put it inside and close the room door in case it manages to get out of the bathtub.
- If you are in the shower, you may need to strap it if necessary to prevent it from turning your bathroom into a battlefield.
Tips for washing your Artois Hound
How to wash a Artois Hound – Use a special leash strap
Very practical for toileting, here is a very good strap that allows you to attach your Artois Hound so that it does not move or run away during its washing.
With this option, you can keep both hands free for washing, bathing, rinsing or grooming. And it is adjustable to all sizes, from a small Artois Hound to a large Artois Hound !
How to wash a Artois Hound – Use a non-slip carpet (anti-slip bathtub)
If you decide to wash it in the bathtub or shower, you should make sure it doesn’t slip. With a non-slip mat, you will prevent it from getting hurt. You will also prevent it from damaging your bathtub.
For a very small price, the mat we recommend is perfect for washing your Artois Hound. Made of environmentally friendly PVC material, BPA-free, non-toxic, phthalate-free, latex-free, non-slip and measuring 1m by 40 cm.
Opinions indicate that it is a great bath mat because it is easy to install, non-slip, non-floating and makes the bath safe and comfortable. Many indicate that this mat is really effective and that it adheres perfectly.
How to wash your Artois Hound properly?
The most effective way will be to wash it with water and a good shampoo for Artois Hound. To choose the best shampoo for your Artois Hound, I advise you to read our study: Best shampoos for Artois Hound.
- First of all, you will have to reassure him by caressing him and talking to him gently. This will allow you to start getting his head a little wet.
- Then start by washing his head.
- Put warm water over his head, avoiding his eyes and nose.
- Put a little shampoo on and rub up to the neck.
- Rinse his head with a shower head, preferably, or with a bucket of warm water prepared in advance.
- Continue with the body by applying the shampoo especially on the undercoat and around his tail.
- As soon as it is well rubbed, rinse it properly.
- To dry it, you will need to take a large, dry towel. Some Artois Hound will withstand being dried in addition to a hair dryer, others will not.
THE SNUGGLY DOG Easy Wear Dog Towel
If you do not want to use your own towels, you can buy one or two towels that you will reserve for your Artois Hound. We found on Amazon an ideal towel to dry your Artois Hound well and to use it as a bathrobe to prevent it from getting cold after its bath….
Lightweight, quick drying, this towel is suitable for puppies and bigger Artois Hounds. In addition, it is easy to use because you just have to put it on over the head of your Artois Hound and fasten the belt. It keeps your Artois Hound dry longer.
With a rating of 4.5 stars out of 5, this product is very well rated on the Internet: Perfect, highly recommended, good quality, ideal, super, very good product….
How to wash your Artois Hound without getting it wet?
If it is very cold and your Artois Hound starts to smell bad, you have the dry shampoo solution. They are practical because they prevent you from wetting your Artois Hound and getting your bathroom dirty.
The application is made on the surface by rubbing the coat well and lathering for some shampoos. Then it is necessary to dry thoroughly with a good towel.
Among all the products on the market, I chose the Wahl Pet Friendly Waterless No Rinse Shampoo which is one of the most effective:
Made in the United States, this waterless oatmeal and coconut shampoo is alcohol-free, paraben-free, PEG-80-free and is highly recommended for soft cleaning and cooling of dogs.
No rinsing required, which is convenient for Artois Hound who don’t like wet shampoos, just dry with a towel and brush the coat.
To know which shampoo to use,
Read our article on the best shampoos for Artois Hound